Buckingham Palace will not block efforts to remove Prince Andrew from the line of succession, according to the Guardian, as police confirmed a search of his former Windsor home would continue through the weekend.
Royal sources indicated on Saturday that King Charles would not oppose parliamentary action to ensure his brother could never become king.
Andrew, who was arrested this week on suspicion of misconduct in a public office, remains eighth in line to the throne despite having been stripped of his royal titles and official duties.
The arrest followed the release of U.S. Department of Justice files suggesting he passed confidential government information to the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and others while serving as a UK trade envoy.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019 after a widely criticized BBC interview in which he declined to apologize for his friendship with Epstein. In 2022, he paid a reported £12 million settlement to Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual abuse. Andrew has denied the allegations, and the settlement did not include an admission of liability.
Although he was stripped of his remaining royal titles late last year as more details emerged about his ties to Epstein, he retains his place in the line of succession, behind Prince William and his children, and Prince Harry and his.
Removing him would require new legislation, needing support from both houses of parliament and royal assent from the king, as well as approval from the 14 Commonwealth realms where the king is head of state.
Government ministers have indicated that talks with the palace are already underway about changing the law once the police investigation concludes. Defence Minister Luke Pollard said the government has “absolutely” been working with the palace on plans to prevent Andrew from being “a heartbeat away from the throne.”
He expressed hope for cross-party support but stressed that legislative action should only follow the conclusion of the police inquiry.
Treasury Chief Secretary James Murray stated that the government is “considering any further steps that might be required” but said it would be inappropriate to comment further during an active investigation.
Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey said his party would back any legislation to remove Andrew from the succession, calling the idea of him becoming king “intolerable.”
Andrew is the first royal to be arrested in over 350 years, since Charles I was taken prisoner in 1647 during the English Civil War. Charles I was later executed for treason.
Andrew was questioned by Thames Valley Police for 11 hours on Thursday, his 66th birthday, and was released under investigation without travel restrictions. Searches at his former home, Royal Lodge in Windsor, are expected to continue over the weekend, following a previous search of his current residence on the Sandringham estate.Items seized from the properties are now being examined, according to reports.
Thames Valley police stated they have not yet sought formal early investigative advice from the Crown Prosecution Service, indicating that a decision on whether to charge Mountbatten-Windsor may not come for some time.
Mountbatten-Windsor has declined to comment on the recent developments but has previously denied any wrongdoing regarding his friendship with Epstein. Epstein died by suicide in a New York prison cell in 2019 after being charged with child sex trafficking offenses.
The former prince maintained his friendship with Epstein even after Epstein’s 2008 conviction for child sex offenses. He visited Epstein in New York, invited him to Buckingham Palace, and sent him personal family photographs.
Ghislaine Maxwell, another close friend of Mountbatten-Windsor and an accomplice of Epstein, is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence in the U.S. for her involvement in Epstein’s crimes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course Here is a list of FAQs about the statement The Palace would not object to removing Andrew from the line of succession
Beginner Definition Questions
1 What does the line of succession mean
The line of succession is the official order of who would become the monarch if the current king or queen dies or abdicates Its like a ranked list starting with the heir apparent
2 Who is Prince Andrew and why is he in the news
Prince Andrew is King Charles IIIs younger brother He has been in the news for years due to his association with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and a settled civil sexual assault lawsuit in the US which damaged his public reputation
3 What does The Palace would not object mean in this context
It means that the senior officials and advisors who run the monarchy would not stand in the way or try to stop a move to remove Prince Andrew from the line of succession It suggests they are open to the idea
Process Mechanism Questions
4 Can Prince Andrew actually be removed from the line of succession
Yes technically While the line of succession is governed by law Parliament could pass new legislation to remove a specific individual with the monarchs consent The Palace not objecting is a crucial first step for such a change
5 Who has the power to remove him
Ultimately the UK Parliament has the power to change the laws of succession However this would almost certainly require a formal request or consent from the King acting on official advice Its a political and constitutional process
6 Has this been done to other royals before
Yes historically For example King Edward VIII was removed from succession after his abdication in 1936 More recently the 2013 Act removed the rule that males come before females in the line of succession
Reasons Implications Questions
7 Why would they consider removing him
The primary reason is to protect the reputation and stability of the monarchy Prince Andrews association with scandal is seen as a significant liability and removing him from the line of succession is a way to distance the institution from him formally