Andy Burnham has said that security funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they return to live in the UK this month is a “private matter.”
News of Harry and Meghan’s planned return to Britain from the US came as a surprise to many on Wednesday night; King Charles was only told three days beforehand.
Asked by reporters during a visit to West Yorkshire whether the government would set up and pay for the couple’s security, the prime minister said: “Well, this is a private matter. It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the moves that they’re making.”
Harry and Meghan: the key moments, conflicts and controversies since their US move
Read more
The couple moved to California in 2020 but will return to make their home in a non-royal residence outside London.
Harry has been in a long legal dispute with the Home Office over security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.
At the end of June, he was still waiting for a review by the risk management board, which is part of the process where the executive committee for the protection of royalty and public figures decides on his security needs. He and his private security team were working to ensure a visit in July could happen safely.
No further details about any UK security arrangements have been made public.
The couple and their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to move back later in August, with the children already enrolled at a British school.
The Sussexes had a reunion with King Charles last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire. The king is said to welcome the chance to see more of his family in a personal capacity, but there will be no change in their status as private individuals.
There has been no official comment from the Sussexes.
View image in fullscreen
Prince Harry and Meghan meeting people at the Royal children’s hospital in Melbourne during a tour of Australia in April. Photograph: William West/AFP/Getty
The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to have also been informed of the decision. Prince William remains estranged from his brother over criticism the Sussexes have aimed at him, Catherine, Charles and Camilla since leaving the UK.
The former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the couple’s return would have left William, the future king, “apoplectic.”
“In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts: William’s and Harry’s. In the short term, Harry will be able to strengthen his relationship with his father. And his presence back home will make it harder for his brother to avoid a reconciliation,” Hunt told the Press Association.
“The surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic.”
It is understood Harry and Meghan will not be offered a “half-in half-out” option in terms of royal roles. That option was firmly rejected by the late Queen Elizabeth II at the so-called Sandringham summit in 2020, which worked out the terms of their departure from the UK and resulted in them officially stepping down as senior royals and no longer using their HRH titles.
The Sussexes will keep their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, and Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of FAQs based on the statement that Harry and Meghans UK security funding is a private matter according to Andy Burnham
General Background Questions
Q What did Andy Burnham actually say about Harry and Meghans security
A He said that how the Duke and Duchess of Sussex fund their private security when they are in the UK is a private matter between them and their security team not something for the public or politicians to dictate
Q Why is this even a topic of conversation
A Because Harry and Meghan are no longer working royals they dont automatically get the same level of taxpayerfunded police protection Since they still visit the UK theres a lot of public debate about who should foot the bill for their safety
Q Does the UK government pay for their security now
A Not generally for their private security details The UK government provides some security for the Royal Family and highprofile figures based on threat assessments but Harry and Meghans private security team is funded by them personally
Q Is it true that Harry and Meghan are paying for their own security
A Yes they have a private security team that they pay for themselves The debate is usually about whether they should also receive additional statefunded police protection on top of that
The Private Matter Aspect
Q Why does Burnham think its a private matter
A He argues that once a security arrangement is in place and deemed safe by the experts the funding mechanismwhether it comes from their own pockets or a trustisnt the publics business He believes the focus should be on safety not the invoice
Q If its a private matter why does the public need to know who pays
A Some people argue that because they are highprofile figures who use public resources and have a history of security incidents theres a public interest in knowing if taxpayers are on the hook Burnhams point is that if they arent using taxpayer money then the details are nobodys business
Q Does this mean Harry and Meghan are exempt from public scrutiny on this issue